Monday, September 17, 2007

cases

I'm working on learning case endings, and I'm stuck on the accusative case. I understand that masculine animate nouns don't change. The same applies to neuter nouns. My problem lies with feminine nouns, I think. Feminine nominative nouns end with -a and -я. In the accusative case, they end with -y, -ю, -ь, or -ию, right? I just don't know when to attach which ending. For instance, книга becomes книгy. My book told me that one, so I'm confident about it. Same thing with неделя - it becomes неделю. Does that mean that я always becomes ю, and a always becomes y? I haven't found any hard and fast rules for this, so I'm still a bit unclear on it.

This is my second time learning a language with cases, admittedly, so I shouldn't be having this much of a problem with it, but it's been ages since I've even thought about Latin.

1 Comments:

Blogger Katya said...

Your instinct is good. -a typically changes to -y and -я changes to -ю. The other endings probably come into play for feminine nouns ending in -ь or -ия. My little Langenscheidt Russian dictionary does a fabulous job of laying out which declensions go with which other ones. Alas, I don't have the book with me in Maine, but all of my books are supposed to come in the mail later this week, and I'll take a look at it for you.

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home