Saturday, October 20, 2007

Re: Cases, part 5

I've been focusing on the genitive case because the accusative case is identical to either the nominative or genitive forms for all masculine and neuter nouns. However, the accusative and genitive cases are distinct for feminine nouns. I think I'll still keep going with the genitive case, though, just to be consistent.

According to our lovely chart, feminine nouns end in either "-ы" or "-и." If the feminine noun ends in "-я" or "-ь," then the genitive ending is "-и." If the feminine noun ends in "-a," then the genitive ending is "-ы." Oh, and remember that Spelling Rule #1 applies. (Well, Spelling Rule #2 applies, too, but it's a moot point.)

For homework, give me the following feminine words in the genitive case:

автократия
аспирантка
виза
гласность
замена
книга
мебель
надежда
неделя
ночь
русалка
сирена

For extra credit, explain to me why Spelling Rule #2 is a moot point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home